Monday, May 16, 2011

Killebrew ends fight with cancer


Via cthabeerman at www.talkingchop.com," This saddens me. Although I am far too young to have seen him play, I remember watching him in the Home Run Derby reruns on ESPN Classic and what-not, and always have thought a lot of him as a ballplayer.When watching Home Run Derby, my dad would always impart his memories of the player, and he was also one of his favorites. He'd always talk about how he was second only to Mantle in home run distances. I'd have to explain my father's mannerisms to explain how much I loved hearing the stories, but suffice it to say they're some of my most vivid memories of my father from my youth."

I wanted to post this to show the impact that Killebrew still has. It's not just the 50+ crowd that understands and respects what he contributed to the game. I also have a similar memory of my father when he describes watching and cheering for Henry "Hank" Aaron despite living in the deep south. However, that's for another day........ Killebrew has and remains and true hero of baseball and my best wishes go out to Harmon and his family. May he thoroughly enjoy his remaining days with his family by his side.

No comments:

Post a Comment